The use of sun protection is necessary and the reasons are simple:
Sun exposure causes:
* skin cancer
* sun weakens collagen
* premature aging
* sun stroke
* sun brings on broken capillaries
When the weather is is good, we feel good. We travel, we cookout, we're at the beach, by the pool, on the boat, we just love to be outdoors.
Sunshine feels good on the skin and gives our bodies a boost of Vitamin D. It evokes positive feelings and positive energy.
But we must be smart about protecting ourselves from the harmful rays of the sun because no amount of sun exposure without protection is safe. Practicing safe sun procedures will help minimize the risks.
UVA and UVB are types of radiation given off by the sun and this is what we want to protect our skin from.
UVA penetrates deeply into the skin and is known to be a major factor in premature aging and skin cancer. Most UVA reaches the earth's surface.
UVB is associated with sunburn and is partially absorbed by the earth's ozone layer.
To help protect yourself use sunscreen and or sunblock. Here's the breakdown; sunscreen absorbs UV rays while sunblock deflects the sun's rays. Sun protection should be used everyday all year round. It is vital to your skin's health.
The SPF number in your choice of sun protection should be at least 15-30 and is recommended by skincare experts.
All skins, from the lightest to the darkest, should wear some type of sun protection. Look for the SPF number and type that fit your needs. I personally prefer a separate SPF and apply it after my Smooth Skin Face Moisturize. Your preference is up to you. SPF can be found in other products including moisturizers and foundations. You can also choose a waterproof SPF.
Remember SPF shields the skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays. Here are a few tips to remember:
* All skin colors and types should use SPF no matter what time of year it is.
* Protect your children s skin from the sun.
* Wear hats and sunglasses to help protect your skin from the sun.
* Try a sunblock stick for lips, cheeks and nose.
* Try to stay in the shade between 11am and 3pm when the sun is strongest
* Drink water to help prevent dehydration
* Use SPF formulations that have zinc oxide and titanium dioxide
* Don't forget the 3 easy steps to healthy skin are (1) Wash, (2) Tone , & (3) Moisturize
Feel free to email me at Stanford@TheSmoothSkinCompany.com for my personal recommendations for SPF products.
Posted on 06/03/2011 at 03:00 AM